Dogs on the winter range!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
ShedObsession93
Fawn
Fawn

Dogs on the winter range!

Post by ShedObsession93 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 am

I dont know how many of you guys see this but i have been seeing it alot lately. people are out running there dogs through the winter ranges already and as of a couple weeks ago. Its really annoying cause the dogs were doing nothing but chasing the deer up and down the side hills. isnt that illegal to chase the deer with your dogs while the deer are on their winter ranges. Just a thought. :>/

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Re: Dogs on the winter range!

Post by fatrooster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 am

It is definitely illegal in Nevada. fatrooster.

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 am

And its definitely illegal in Northern Utah. :>/
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

Post by wildantlerman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 am

It is legal as long as you are not hunting big game or as long as they are not chasing the animals around. I take my dog out but she stays near me, I think it would be hard to prosicute them since there are hunts going on with fowl and birds which dogs are used in alot of winter ranged areas which big game are wintering. In my mind it is ok to use them as long as they are trained and not run wild.

When and if she ever starts chasing them she will stay at home or on a leash for now on.

I understand them chasing them and the guys that let them do it need to discontinue, but we all know there are bad apples out there.
Wes
Wild Antler Creations - Custom Built Antler Art and Furniture
Wild Antler Magic - "Bring'in Back Bone"

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:59 pm

i was running my dogs all over the winter range.. but it just so happens there where no deer just chucker.. make sure your getting upset for something that is being done. chucker hunt ends feb 14th. have fun out there

Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm

It definatley upsets me when people intentionally run deer with dogs, or even ignorantly go for a run/walk and can't control their dogs and it happens. I think a lot of people are ignorant as to how fragile wild animals are this time of year and need to be educated so they don't let their dogs run and bother deer. Shoot I think that humans should try and stay out of their winter range as much as possible too! Just my 2 cents.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

ShedObsession93
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ShedObsession93 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Trust me there are most definately deer and the dogs were hot on there tail. I was wathcing a big group of deer when out of the blue the deer took off jumping and running and weaving in and out of the thick brush just to get away from these dogs! no chukars on this place onehuntingfool either ha. This guy was just up hiking with his dogs when they must have got loose or something. still kinda bugs me watching the deer running across the hill side at a hundred miles an hour trying to get away from this guy and his dogs!

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:19 am

one hunting fool wrote:i was running my dogs all over the winter range.. but it just so happens there where no deer just chucker.. make sure your getting upset for something that is being done. chucker hunt ends feb 14th. have fun out there
I am with Shed on this one, any person who calls him/herself a sportsman will make a very concerted effort to avoid deer by a very large margin regardless of any legal hunt that may be going on. Go around them and find another place, however I don't think anyone truly hunting chuckar would really be in deer wintering grounds.

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 am

In Washington there are tons of deer in the chukar hunting areas, it can be difficult to keep the dogs off of them. Thinking that you can go hunt chukars where there are not any deer would be impossible here if you planned on finding chukars.

Shock collars can help, but most people think they are cruel.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:31 am

In MT we can shoot dogs we catch chasing game and livestock,problem solved.