Daisy 4, fatrooster zilch!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Daisy 4, fatrooster zilch!

Post by fatrooster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:08 am

Went out on my first shed hunt of the year and took off on a three hour hike lookin' for horn. Took Daisy my antler dog and right off the bat she started bringing me leg bones, spinal columns and rib cages. I don't discourage her to bring me skeletal bones because sometimes the antlers are few and far between and finding bones keeps her excited.
She got so engrossed in her search that she ran into a barbed wire fence. But that didn't slow her down.
Next she found a porcipine but luckily she didn't try to attack it.
I wanted to get some distance between us and the porcipine but before I could I spotted a herd of about 20 deer, 6 of them with antlers. 2 of those 6 only had one antler. While I was looking at the deer Daisy went back to the porcipine and got one lone quill in the foot pad of her right front foot. I pulled it out and off we went. We started following a fence line that kinda led back to the truck when Daisy lifted her head into the wind and scrambled under the fence. I thouht to myself, "Great, another leg bone," but was surprised when she ran about 15-20 yards into the wind and picked up an old 2-point. I got her picture as she crawled back under the fence.
Here is another picture with our, I mean HER first antler of the year.
Next she found another 2-point, a spike, and 1 more 2-point. We went back to the truck and had a Bar-B-Q with some friends and called it a day considering the snow that started coming down. fatrooster.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Daisy 4, fatrooster zilch!

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Cool pics, looks like you have that dog trained well. Glad she didn't hit that porcupine head one, disaster and the rest of the day pulling out quills with pliers. Been there, done that. :)

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:51 pm

MuleyMadness, is it true that if you cut off the end of the quill the barb will retrack back into the quill allowing it to come out easily? fatrooster.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Not sure, didn't do that. Never heard of that? Ours was the painful method, grad and jerk before they kept working there way in deeper.

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Glad to see that you got out.. There was tto much snow to head out towards Ely today. I didnt want to risk geting stuck in an area I didnt know that well either. So I decided to go out near St. George. It was a circus.. I saw 3 or 4 other people out shed hunting. No one had found anything. But we stil need to meet up in the next few weeks. Can you get out during the week? My weekends are getting booked with wedding photography now..

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Great pics fat rooster. Congrats on a great day out. Glad daisy didn't get a whole face full of ouch. If your feeling left out you've got company. I took my eight year old out. We found an awesome hillside that had been the winter grounds to a lot of deer. Sign everywhere but no bone on the ground except for a nice three point that my boy found. (my boy:1 me :0 :thumb ) It was his first unassisted antler find. Our first of the year. We put about 6-7 miles in that day with no other antlers found. I think someone had already hit the hill side due to foot prints and no antlers. At the top we glassed th next ridge and saw about 45 deer. There were at least 7 buck with no head gear in the group. I thought for sure the hillside would be a producer when my boy found his three point side within the first 20 yards of hiking from the truck. I'd love to post a pic but the software got messed up on my camera. It will turn on but not take pics. Darn thing is only a year and a half old. New camera time I guess. Congrats agian on your day out.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Great pics and great dog! You get the horn and she gets to play...it's a win-win! I tried to train my dog back in the day to help me out with hunting for whitetail sheds. She'd never find them when we went out together, but there were times when I would get home and there would be a new shed sitting in the yard that she drug up from somewhere. Only bad part was she'd have half a tine chewed off before I would see it! :)

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 am

Good pup you have :thumb Sure makes bone hunting more fun doesn't it?
I wouldn't cut off the quills. I've had dogs in porcupines to, have broken some off pulling, then they are even harder to get out.

I'm anxious to get out bone hunting. Deep snow here and getting deeper. :>/

ARCHERYBUG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ARCHERYBUG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 am

002.JPG
002.JPG (97.03 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
HERE'S THE OLE' ROOSTER WITH THE SHEDS HIS DOG FOUND.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:50 am

Great pics! your giving me the itch to get out there and get some bone :thumb