Where do they drop?!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
amp713
2 point
2 point

Where do they drop?!

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm

So i have never really shed hunted. I have been out hiking just getting away from people and stumbled across a few but i want to change that. The biggest problem is i dont know where they usually drop them. Do they usually not drop them till they have moved in and settled in their winter range or do they usually start loosing them while starting to head back to the high country? Also are they usualy dropped while doing things like hopping fences, ducking through trees? Any help would be much appreciated!
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Re: Where do they drop?!

Post by fatrooster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Amp, they usually drop them on the winter range. The amount of snow determines what elevation in which you should be looking. Fence lines, creeks and areas that provide food are all good places to look. fatrooster.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks! and generally elk can withstand more snow and cold so their sheds will probably be alot higher right?
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Most are dropped on winter range, but yes some do drop on their way out of the winter range. Weather can and will determine when they leave. Elk could possible be higher yes, but not always the case. They can drop them ANYWHERE, doesn't seem to be rime or reason as to where in my opinion. Bush thick cover, under trees, sagebrush, slopes of hills, washes, etc.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Hopping a fence or crossing the bottom of a steep wash can jar the head gear enough to make a side fall. I've found a couple that way. I get concened though becuase it meant the deer was on the move and the side needed help to shed. That means the match may be a ways away.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm

You guys have all missed the question: WHERE DO THE DROP? :-k
I will throw my two cents in and say: On the ground.. [-o<
Next time make it a True or false question. :thumb lol
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 pm

hahaha nice to see someone answered my question!!!
hahah smart butt.....
but hey it was good for a laugh!

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 pm

All kidding aside… :) my buddy picked these up today. He has been out for a week and has close to 10 fresh…. South eastern Utah.
Attachments
IMG955249.jpg
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 pm

South east? like around where? Im currently going to college in ogden and was up to my waist in snow when i went hiking a few hours ago.... Just trying to get in shape not really shed hunting in that much snow... Actually I dont even know where to look up here, any ideas?

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm

figure out where the deer are right now and start looking. best places seem to be foothills and on the benches this time of year.