Utah Prohibits Shed Antler Collection Until May 1

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Utah Prohibits Shed Antler Collection Until May 1

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:13 pm

For you Utah shed hunters.

Something I didn't know in this article. It is illegal in Utah to pick up horns or antlers that are still attached to the skull plate. How many other states have this same law?

A growing interest in gathering antlers shed in the winter by deer, elk, and moose has led to increasing numbers of "shed hunters" spending time on ranges that big game animals use in the winter.

The very presence of people on these areas in the winter can have unintended consequences on big game animals. For example, the animals have to use their energy to avoid people. In some cases, antler hunters have intentionally chased animals to try and make their antlers fall off.

Irresponsible use of off-highway vehicles in these areas can also damage habitat that is critical to big game animals. The melting snows in late winter and early spring make the soils moist. Taking OHVs into these areas can cause increased erosion and can damage important plants.

Mule deer fawns

Winter is usually the most treacherous time of the year for mule deer fawns. Cold temperatures, deep snow and limited food can lead to the deaths of many fawns. Unnecessary disturbance by people just adds to the problem. Disturbance by people causes deer to flee and use their precious energy reserves. The deer need these energy reserves to make it through the winter.

Even under the best winter conditions, some fawns will die. That's why it's so important not to disturb deer during this critical time of year.

Shed antler restrictions in Northern Utah

A committee comprised of sportsmen, people from the agricultural community, and state and federal wildlife officials have determined that helping more fawns survive the winter is one of the first steps to increasing deer populations in Northern Utah. Based on the group's recommendations, all five of Utah's Regional Advisory Councils and the Utah Wildlife Board voted to restrict the collection of shed antlers in Northern Utah this year.

Collection allowed after May 1

The collection of shed antlers is allowed from May 1, 2007 through Jan. 31, 2008.

When the season opens on May 1, please remember that you must obey all state and federal off-road vehicle rules. You must also respect the rights of private property owners.

Also remember that it's illegal to pick up antlers or horns that are still attached to the skull plate of a dead animal.

For more information about Utah's shed antler gathering regulations, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:40 pm

wow i never knew that before. i wonder why
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

huntenfever
3 point
3 point

read some stuff

Post by huntenfever » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:19 pm

I have read some stuff on other sites that said somebody has already got caught up north. They received a $2500 fine. It does make sense if there is to many people pounding one area the wildlife could become very stressed. I've seen some area's in other states where they need to do the same thing.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:30 pm

huntenfever, yea I understand why they prevent shed hunting this time of year. The last thing the game animals need is a lot of stress induced by folks spookin' them all over the countryside while shed hunting. Especially after a hard winter.

I was just surprised that it was illegal to keep antlers/horns that are still attached to the headplate...in other words the only sheds that are legal to keep are true sheds vice animals that were killed by predators or the hardships of winter.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Utah has had this law for quite some time, kinda sucks but I can see why they do it.

I found this one a while back, but had to leave it in the hills.

huntenfever
3 point
3 point

they made the law for poaching

Post by huntenfever » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:56 pm

I guess the law was made because they had a problem with people shooting the animals and then coming back and saying oh look what i found. Problem is people do it all the time, except good law obeying people like MuleyMadness (hard to leave that find i bet) It's hard to look in somebodies yard and say when did you find that skull?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Yea it's a tough call for sure, I debated it for a minute and thought nope going to leave it simply because it's the law. Was a 5x5, makes ya wonder if someone else has since picked it up and has it in there yard. :)

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 am

in oregon you can pick them up while hunting but you have to put your tag on the horns and your done huntingfor that animal for the year.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:28 am

You can pick up anything but bighorn skulls here in mt,i have found a couple good elk skulls/racks and a few decent bucks both MD and WT.If you picked one up here in MT is there a law saying you couldnt take it home to your state?

kadejones2
Monster
Monster

Post by kadejones2 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:07 pm

i think that is reatrded i mean what is it hurting