Shed Hunting Tactics

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
Elko
2 point
2 point

Shed Hunting Tactics

Post by Elko » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:08 pm

I know this may have been talked about in the past but I'm curious what techniques everyone uses to find sheds. WAM and company seem to find sheds like crazy and I know it has to do with where you're at but I think there is a little more than luck involved with them. I just hike until I get lucky and by lucky I mean I find a 2 point shed from 5 years ago. I was told once to look for smaller trees that have scrapes on them but haven't been very succesful. I would just like to hear everyones ideas. Thanks in advance.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shed Hunting Tactics

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 am

I think it has a lot more to do with 'location' than anything else. These WAM boys are very good, but they WORK very hard for them and put a lot of time effort and boot miles into there trips.

As for tips, grief I've came to the conclusion that it miles and miles on the ground and glassing are the best. But I'm not a great or big shed hunter.

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am

I agree, you're not going to find any antlers if the animals haven't been shedding in the area. Location is very important. The area they are shedding may also change from year to year. It also takes lots of miles of hiking and glassing. I usually hike anywhere from 10 to 15 miles in a day while I'm shed hunting depending on how rugged the terrain is. Shed hunting is a lot more popular than it used to be and so it will be harder to find bones in popular areas. Keep after it and you'll find a few, there are plenty of bones laying around out in the hills. :thumb

MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

Post by MULIES4EVER » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:04 am

I hike my rear off and glass everything that I can. keep moving. You cant find them if you dont cover some ground.

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Best advice i can give you is to go somewhere that hasnt been hit, most the spots i go to are not hit by many people there might not be a lot of deer but I have better chances of finding more sheds because there might not have been too many people in those areas, then the next best thing is to use your eyes more than your feet you can cover a lot more ground with your binos than with your feet so keep glassing, ive found about 150 sheds so far this year and at least 50 % of them i spotted with my binos, good luck your next time out :thumb
WILD ANTLERS

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Post by BigBoneZ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Wild antlers says he thinks 50% of his sheds he glasses. I'm wondering about the rest of ya? Cause i would say for me 30% is push'n it, but i only glass in areas that the glass'n promises to produce. Areas that i can glass from and can see down into the bushes, trees, ect. very well or i might as well just grid it out, cause it dont take a very big bush to hide a shed. I also dont always carry my tripod with if i'm plan'n on being out for a long walk and i dont like to glass without it. But for you guys, what percentage do you think? :-k

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Why do you allways have to question the way somebody else does things.This is a site to offer info,not to contradict and bag on others for the way they do things . .Thats all youve done since you became a member of this site. :>/

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 pm

BIG R wrote:Why do you allways have to question the way somebody else does things.This is a site to offer info,not to contradict and bag on others for the way they do things . .Thats all youve done since you became a member of this site. :>/
and it's getting pretty old...... too bad the guys you TRY to bag on put up plenty of proof to show how well they do. BIGBONEZ puts up alot of talk, go figure..... :>/

230+
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 230+ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:44 pm

I agree with what you guys have said. Location is huge, glassing can help in certain areas, lots of miles is probably the most important to me but I would like to add that is is importantant to stay in the right elevation, slope, vegetation etc. you can hike all you want but once your out of the core shedding area you won't find jack. Just my 2 bits.

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm

230+ you have some truley amazing sheds and thanks for sharing them with everybody :thumb Hope to someday see pics of the "shed room"