Fall Archery Tom

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
southwind
Monster
Monster

Fall Archery Tom

Post by southwind » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

I was sitting in one of my stands Saturday a.m. and as the sky began to warm it became apparent I was smack dab in the middle of some roosted Tom's.

I just happened to have a fall turkey tag in my pocket and I'm thinking this could be a good deal. They fly down about 50 yards from me in the timber and start a chorus of simultaneous thunderous gobbles echoing though the woods. In response two other distant groups answer back to this all long beard hoard.

After anxiously watching them work their way away from me i had given up much hope. Then out in front a few minutes later one of the far away groups busted into the meadow I was set up on. These birds were at full strut and full gobble issuing challenges of dominance to anyone who could hear. These birds were sixty yards out and found the perfect spot behind an outstretched limb on the tree I am in. They are putting on a show working back and forth and hung up out where again I don't have any shot.

Finally,one bird worked it's way where it was just clear 40 yards out faced away in full strut. I had heard that the pooter shot was a good archery shot so I drew, placed my 40 yard pin on the bullseye and let her fly. There was the distinct whack sound as the Tom dropped like a lead balloon. I was amazed.

The other birds had no idea what had happened and gathered around their buddy perplexed. They didn't have time to think about it as one of the other hoard of wandering Tom's busted into the field and bedlam ensued. The birds fought, chased, strutted, drummed, and gobbled up a storm until I counted 26 Tom's in the meadow and at least 20 in full strut at one time.

I have never witnessed a site like this but it sure was fun.

Double bearder and just a good overall bird.

I used 2 bladed rages and I want you to looked at the result of the ole pooter shot.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Fall Archery Tom

Post by waspocrew » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Nice shooting, and congrats on a great looking bird! Sounds like you had a blast out there!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 pm

That sounds like a cool thing to witness, turkeys are amazing birds. Did the pooter shot leave you any meat to eat? Looks like it did a fair amount of damage!
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 pm

It actually slide along the rib cage so meat loss was very little. I'm not sure that would be my first choice shot, but it worked out well in this case enough for me to try it again if presented that shot again.