06 Archery Buck

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
JBird
Monster
Monster

06 Archery Buck

Post by JBird » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:28 pm

I know this is a little late, but I haven't had time to post it, til now.

The plan is for me to walk down the logging road and my dad will pick me up. When we reach the drop off point I see the quads have constructed a new road up the side of the hill and left a ton of garbage too. :nono: :>/ As I walk up I pick a little of it up and put it in my jacket pocket.

Pretty soon I figure out that I am some what lost, but after hitting a main road I'm soon back to where I need to be. I am walking pretty quickly down the logging road because the wind is at my back, when out in front of me about 150 yrds I see a nice buck bolt across the road, followed by a spike.

He is headed into a thick wooded canyon, but I quilty take my boots off thinking I'll cut him off. After about 5 minutes of stepping on all sorts of stuff, my feet are telling me to stop, and I'm pretty sure they are gone now. As set my boots down to put them back on I noticed a deer on the hill side about 80 yrds away I raise my binoculars and low and behold its the spike and his buddy. I quickly look for somewhere to hide and asses the situation. About 30yrds away is 8ft tall 4ft wide pine stump, if I can get there I will have a good view of the bucks and cover to sneak up on them.

They have other plans though. They begin feeding in my direction so I quicky lose all my excess gear boots, jacket which of course makes a tinking sound ](*,) because of the pop can, and my radio. I quickly make it to the stump, by now the spike has fed off deeper into the draw and the big one is slowly following him. I slowly dig my range finder out of my side pocket and range the pine tree he is headed for. To my pleasent surprise the tree is only 50 yrds away, not an easy shot, but one I practice all summer. He is now on the left side of the tree, I draw the Gamegetter when "twang" some how the cable on my drop away got wrapped around the string #-o. I look up and he is still feeding. I raise the bow and put the 50 yrd pin on him, the only problem is he is facing straight on. I don't feel comfortable with the shoot so I hold on hoping he will turn broadside. Finally he feeds behind the tree and I let down.

Now I have a big problem not only has the wind picked up and blowing right to him, but if he keeps feeding down the hill I will have about a 10ft window to shoot through, or hustle around a small stand of pines to get a better shot. Fortunately he feeds back out broadside. Any compusure I had up to that point is gone now and I am shaking uncontrollably. Some how I mange to find my anchor point and settle the red pin behind his shoulder, I made small kissing sound to stop him and release the Goldtip.

At first I though I had missed, but as he turned to go up the hill I saw the arrow hanging on by the fletching on the other side. The rest is history after a somewhat difficult tracking job he found him piled up.

I was exstatic. It was my first archery buck and my best buck to date.

Sorry no in the field shots my dad forgot the camera.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:47 pm

JBird
I was exstatic. It was my first archery buck and my best buck to date.
I would have been to, great buck.

I fixed the images, so they would appear inside the thread, didn't think you would mind.

Now get the rest of those Kanab boys to register and sign up. There is a bunch of them hunters over there. And some great deer country.

Thanks for the story.

ID_MuleyLvr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ID_MuleyLvr » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:03 pm

Awesome velvet muley buck great job!
Big Bucks For All

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:58 pm

wow great buck. congrats
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

a3dhunter
Spike
Spike

nice story

Post by a3dhunter » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 pm

truly a nice buck, love the velvet and you did a great job telling the story.
congrats
a3dhunter

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:10 pm

GREAT BUCK! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to tell us the whole story!

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:45 am

Great buck, congrats.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks Brett, I tried to put the pictures on but I am technically disabled.

I'm trying to get them signed up!

I hoped the story wasn't to long, you should have seen the orginal. It started on the opener all way to when I shot him. I deleted it before I posted it.

BUNNY SLAYER
Spike
Spike

Post by BUNNY SLAYER » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:30 pm

thats a nice buck, i have a buddy who shot a deer a lot like that one, i think it was some where along 24 inches, he latter complained he wished he would have waited to shoot one so he could get a 30 incher on the rife. glad to see your not that way. so what do you call it, a 4x4 or do you count that little blob of mud making it a 5x5, :)) JK, anyway, which size

hunterman67
Spike
Spike

nice deer

Post by hunterman67 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 am

hey you can always hold your head up way high with that buck !!!!! great job, and with a bow too- perfect !!!!!
saying "guns kill people" is like saying "the spoon made rosie fat"

Michael Waite, Tucson/Marana- ARIZONA.