South Dakota

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Windlaker
Fawn
Fawn

South Dakota

Post by Windlaker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Bowhunted for Mulies first time ever this year in SD. LOVED IT!

My question for SD hunters? If I start applying for a Rifle Tag, how many years you figger it'll to get enough points?

Thanks in advance,

WindLaker

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Re: South Dakota

Post by Mularcher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 pm

I know the Special Buck tag is a draw at 70% success, that’s so you can shoot a Whitetail or Muley with one tag if you don’t draw you get a bonus point and you will the next year. I think Whitetails is roughly the same & I know they have three draws per year. You'd have to check on the single Muley tag, call the DNR at 605-223-7660 they are very helpful. I’d guess you could count on every other year but the area your hunting could change your drawing odds so give the DNR a call.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

Windlaker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Windlaker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks, Mularcher.

SDBugler
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SDBugler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm

There are 4 basic options for rifle deer hunting - Special Buck, Black Hills, West River, and East River.
Special Buck tags are only good on private property and you need a property owner to sign your applicaiton. Usually guarranteed to draw at least every other year.
Non residents are not allowed to apply for east river except for left over tags (only doe tags left over).
West river tags can be drawn about every other year for most units.
I'm not sure on the draw rates for Black Hills but I would assume they are also about every other year or so.

This info is available on the SDGFP website.

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I also heard every other year on average,but talked to some guys who drew every year.I'm going to get 1 more point for west river this year so I should draw it next year.I've got 2 points for west river deer right now,and I am going to start building in BH,and east river..Cashing in on my 3 antelope points this year.Best deal in the west at $5 for a priority point...even tho the trophy potential isnt as high,atleast you can hunt..lol