Left over tags

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Left over tags

Post by dahlmer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:38 am

I was fortunate enough to get one of the leftover Wasatch West MZ tags this morning. Looks like I'll have something to hunt this fall. Anybody else get a tag this morning?

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Left over tags

Post by waspocrew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 am

It's not really a "leftover", but I'm still toying with the idea of picking up a spike tag. My uncle just bought one and has never hunted elk before- I'd like to go with him and I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a tag in my pocket as well... I don't know if I can convince the wife that I need one since I drew a deer tag and cow elk haha.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Good luck on your hunt Dahlmer.
waspocrew wrote: I don't know if I can convince the wife that I need one since I drew a deer tag and cow elk haha.
If you hunt within the unit specified for your cow permit you can harvest the cow during the spike AND deer hunt dates... if that makes sense. So, deer & spike hunt in the Cache unit that you drew the cow tag in & you could have the chance to fill the cow tag in September (deer), October (spike), and November-December :thumb.
I used that logic on my wife earlier this week & that's what got me permission to buy the Any Bull tag... now we'll see if it pans out. I told her I could fill them at the same time and not be gone as many days.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 pm

no offense, but i don't have to ask for "permission" from my wife for anything..lol

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm

derekp1999 wrote: If you hunt within the unit specified for your cow permit you can harvest the cow during the spike AND deer hunt dates... if that makes sense. So, deer & spike hunt in the Cache unit that you drew the cow tag in & you could have the chance to fill the cow tag in September (deer), October (spike), and November-December :thumb.
I used that logic on my wife earlier this week & that's what got me permission to buy the Any Bull tag... now we'll see if it pans out. I told her I could fill them at the same time and not be gone as many days.
That may just work! Thanks for bringing that to my attention :thumb
treedagain wrote:no offense, but i don't have to ask for "permission" from my wife for anything..lol
Haha none taken. I guess I don't want to push my luck too much haha. She's great and lets me spend way too much time hunting each year.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 pm

waspocrew wrote: I guess I don't want to push my luck too much haha. She's great and lets me spend way too much time hunting each year.

Pick her up a gift card for a new pair of shoes and she won't mind that you picked up another tag. :)

It's called "bait and switch" and can be very effective at times, but it can also be expencive too. (???)
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:56 pm

treedagain wrote:no offense, but i don't have to ask for "permission" from my wife for anything..lol
Good for you. I have 4 children 5 & under so it's either permission or walking papers... I'll continue to ask for permission, too, if it keeps her happy.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

derekp1999 wrote:
Good for you. I have 4 children 5 & under so it's either permission or walking papers... I'll continue to ask for permission, too, if it keeps her happy.
I know how you feel Derek. My wife has always been good to let me go, but with five kids it is a good idea to check with her to make sure that I don't overdo it.

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:21 am

no offense but I think most all of us don't have to ask for permission but do outta respect. I dunno about the rest of u guys but In my relationship pretty much any decision that would have any effect or interfere with my family is ran by each other. :) maybe it's just me?

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:31 pm

derekp1999 wrote: If you hunt within the unit specified for your cow permit you can harvest the cow during the spike AND deer hunt dates... if that makes sense. So, deer & spike hunt in the Cache unit that you drew the cow tag in & you could have the chance to fill the cow tag in September (deer), October (spike), and November-December :thumb.

Derek-
I've been mulling this over a little while and I think I'll probably just stick with the tags I have and not buy a spike this year. I read the portion of the proclamation that you referenced and wasn't able to find a definite answer... If I harvest my buck early in the muzzy hunt, do I need to continue hunting with my muzzy if I try to fill my cow tag? I'm assuming I would (which is totally fine) but if I can use rifle, that would extend my range a bit. I'll probably end up calling the DWR about it, but was just curious to hear your thoughts.