Scared to go hunting again.

Talk related to anything & everything.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Scared to go hunting again.

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Here's another thought.........just my opinion, but personally, I would rather be killed by some strange creature or freak accident than to live my life in fear. I believe that when the good Lord wants me home, He'll be bringing me one way or the other. Until then, I will rely on my strength, experience, and intellect to keep me at the top of the food chain!-----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 am

BOHNTR wrote:Good Lord........suck it up, get hard, and don't let the mountain over rule your brain and win! I've done MANY solo trips, never been scared......but lonely a few times.
My thoughts exactly Bohntr. Face your fear don't become a slave to it.

I'll go there give me the coordinates.

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

Why I dont solo

Post by Pruneemac » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:04 pm

I was with a buddy once and we had a similar experience. We were bedded down behind a log on a tarp and there was a stomp and a grunt sound like right over the log!

We jumped up and put lights all around but saw nothing. We bedded back down and it happened again! this freaked us out so we slept in the Burb with our rifles. Next morning we searched all over and didnt see a track, turd, dead body, space ship skid marks, nothin!

Second thing-
In 2010 while elk hunting I twisted my knee tearing it up big time. My buddies had to carry me down the mountain. Surgery and a long recuperation followed. I have no idea where I would have been had they not been there.

food for thought. one more thing, its alot more fun with other guys around. whats up you got no firends? :))

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:02 am

The mind is a magical place that can turn a chipmunk or a mouse into a monstorous man-eating beast just outside our tent at night. Get familiar with what's outside. What animals call your hunting territory home? What sound does each of them make? What does the wind sound like as it moves tree limbs or howls through the trees and rocks? The fact that you don't know where you were or what tracks we're around your camp tells me you didn't educate yourself. Education is your friend and your lifesaver! Just my two cents.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Not everyone is made to do solo hunts, some time what goes bump in the dark can be disturbing. Yes there are bears in the woods, you may not be at the top of the food chain.

If you give up hunting because of this, that will be choice, just remember it is better to face you fears than to run from them, once you start running it is VERY HARD to stop running

GregJefferson
Fawn
Fawn

Post by GregJefferson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:11 pm

After reading this later I realize I must have sounded like a baby to you guys. Who knows what it was but I going to try to go back and kick hind end and take names. I purchased a used 30/30 lever action rifle that I can put 3 bullets into a paper plate at 50 yards in 5 seconds. Practice pays off big time! The gentlemen at the local range was impressed with my shooting. The plan is to bring plenty of lights to be able to see all night and wait up for it if its still in the area. If I can see I can shoot it to doll rags. A couple guys at work want to go with me and see for themselves. I hope they will all be armed, then there's nothing to fear. But I'm not sure if its wise to bring relative noobs into the wilderness into this kind of a situation.