BOHNTR - How did CO go?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

BOHNTR - How did CO go?

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Just curious how the trip went, I always look forward to your reports high or low. :)

killerbee

Re: BOHNTR - How did CO go?

Post by killerbee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 am

Can't wait to hear !

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 pm

his rerts are the best!!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am

lets hear it Roy!

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:59 pm

i ment his reports
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Sorry guys, got back last weekend and went right back to work. My trip was a success, even though I didn't punch my tag.

I went on this backpacking trip, solo, into the back country of Colorado. Since I live in Mohave Desert at about 23' above sea level, and I planned to hunt at an elevation of about 12,000', I definitely needed to plan out my trip and break it up to ensure I acclimated myself properly. So I left my home in 108 degree weather and headed to the Flagstaff area of Arizona. I decided to spend the night in the back of my truck there since it was about 7200' elevation. I picked a really good spot (Mormon Lake), as there were probably 300-400 elk on the lake bed including several medium sized bulls. Beautiful sight!

I woke up in the early morning, and drove the rest of the way to trailhead in Colorado. I stayed at trailhead the rest of the day and slept in the back of my truck to get even better acclimated. Th elevation here was around 10,800'. However, with afternoon thunderstorms about the area, I had to improvise and make my "back of the truck rain shelter" to help keep me dry. Good thing I did, because a heck of a rain/hail storm hit shortly after.

Early the next morning, I gathered my pack and headed up the mountain to a drainage I've hunted in years past. The hike in was okay, although my right toe was still hurting from a ligament injury I sustained in May on a wild hog hunt in my home state. The first mile in was fairly steep, gaining about a 800' in a relatively short distance.

As I began to approach tree-line a few miles later, I found myself compensating for my toe and developed a hot spot on the heel of my boot. I was using a good pair of boots (Kenetrek) that weren't new, but not my preferred hiking boots. Like a rookie, I pushed on and eventually made my camp spot right at tree-line (about 11,400'). I paid the price though, as I had a pretty nasty blister on my right heel that required some in field doctoring with mole skin, tape, and band aids. Nope, it did not feel good either.

After doctoring my foot, I set up my camp and filtered some water. Camp was cozy, but a bit lonely with no one to talk to. But, I've been there before. Since I was two days early, I had planned on scouting some of my familiar areas to see what was in there. I climbed a very steep face to view the other side and put my glasses to work.

I spotted a few bucks, but nothing that really stood out like in years past. There were several decent bucks in the area, but nothing I was very excited about. I also saw a few small bull elk....more than I've seen in years past.

I did see a doe and a fawn below me feeding in some alpine willow. I was able to sneak up on the little guy and snapped a really good photo from about 15 yards!

After checking a few different basins in the area over the next two days, I decided to hunt a little bowl that had a few decent sized bucks that needed a closer look. Opening morning, I hiked into the bowl and spotted a few bucks feeding. As I stalked in closer (40 yards), I saw that the best buck I had seen over the last few days had a short main beam on his right side. With him feeding unaware at 40 yards, I decided to pass and dig my small camera out to take a picture. When I did this he caught my movement and gave me a perfect photo op! Now I really didn't study this entire buck's rack, as I only focused on his weak right main beam......I probably made a mistake by passing on him after seeing the photo on my computer. He was the best deer I saw in this area.

After spending 5 days in the back-country, I never saw a buck bigger than the one I passed. Since I was several miles in, I decided he wasn't something I was willing to pack out of here, as I have a few already like him. Man, if he was only a few miles closer to trailhead. :) I decided to pack out of this area and check another area. So, I packed all my gear up and headed out. I drove to another area of the unit and found a two-track road that took me to a vantage point where I was able to use my spotting scope on some really high-country. I located two really big bucks (190's) feeding at an elevation near 13,000'. I donned my pack and headed up a mile or so to get closer. This country was a little different, with numerous cliffs, etc. It held several other bucks too, but many were unapproachable with a bow, as they never left the cliffs. Here's a photo of a medium sized buck through my spotting scope........from about 2 miles away. Can you see the buck?

How about now?

One of the big bucks I was able to pattern would feed in the open of this small peak, just below to sheer cliffs at the top. There was no way to get on him in the morning, as he would see me coming.....even in the dark. Just after daybreak, he would head to the right of the open country and go over the ridge line to bed for the day (see photo below). I worked my way around the side of the hill to get a better angle on where he was bedding and learned there was 200' cliffs he was bedding on! So, the only way to try and kill this buck was to hike up there in the late afternoon and try and ambush him as he fed out just before dark. The first evening I tried this lady luck was not with me......he fed out 80 yards above me. Grrrr! All I could do was lay flat and motionless and hope he didn't see me. I had to wait until he fed far out and around so I could back out, in the dark, and head back to camp. I came close, but not close enough!

The next evening I set up again, only 40 yards higher. I was hoping that no matter which trail he took out, I would have a 40 yard shot either uphill or downhill. Well, ol' Mother Nature was looking out for this old monarch, as a gust of wind blew that way for only about 30 seconds. It was enough though, as he never came out and I never saw him again.......even after searching for two more days. By this time, I had been in the back-country for about 9 days.......and quite simply, I was out of food! There's only so much you can carry when you go solo. So I took in a final look at the high-country and headed for home.

My trip was a success, as I saw several decent bucks....a few I could have arrowed and I really put my legs, feet and lungs through a test. As I inch closer to the half century mark in age, I wonder how many more times my body can do this type of hunt, physically. I had a great time......and probably should have arrowed that buck opening morning! :)
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Sounds like a great time. That blister was nasty good thing you able to continue.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 am

why didnt you go after righ antler buck

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 am

why didnt you go after righ antler buck
Well, good question. I really wanted something a bit better than that buck. This area usually reveals a few really good bucks (180"+) so I was hoping I'd turn up a better buck. It's a long pack out for a mid-160's type buck.......and it was opening day. But hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have arrowed him. I guess it's the price I paid being a bit too picky. :)

However, I will say this. If I did arrow that buck, I would have never found this other area where some really nice bucks spend their summer. If I ever go back to this unit, I'll have a couple places to check now. I guess that's a positive.....at least that's what I'm selling myself. :)
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Excellent write up as always. Thank you so much for sharing!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13