Wyoming 2014 hunt help

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Dearhunter3450
Fawn
Fawn

Wyoming 2014 hunt help

Post by Dearhunter3450 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 pm

As I posted in role call my name is Jeff and I am from upstate NY. I am new to this site as well as western hunting. I am planning an antelope hunt to Wyoming October 2014 and hope to draw an area 24 tag. I do have private ground to hunt for antelope that I have to pay a trespass fee for. I was also considering applying for an area c deer tag. I was wondering how bad the public access was north west of Gillette? I have ordered a few maps from BLM to try and figure out ground. Also getting gps chip and typo maps. I realize that is never as good as first hand knowledge and would appreciate any suggestions. If anyone knows any ranches that offer access for a reasonable trespass fee I would also be interested in that. I definitely want a DIY hunt without guide. Thanks for any help you could offer, I appreciate it.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Re: Wyoming 2014 hunt help

Post by dahlmer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Good luck on your hunts. I wish I had some info for you, but I have never hunted that part of Wyoming.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Dearhunter3450 wrote:As I posted in role call my name is Jeff and I am from upstate NY. I am new to this site as well as western hunting. I am planning an antelope hunt to Wyoming October 2014 and hope to draw an area 24 tag. I do have private ground to hunt for antelope that I have to pay a trespass fee for. I was also considering applying for an area c deer tag. I was wondering how bad the public access was north west of Gillette? I have ordered a few maps from BLM to try and figure out ground. Also getting gps chip and typo maps. I realize that is never as good as first hand knowledge and would appreciate any suggestions. If anyone knows any ranches that offer access for a reasonable trespass fee I would also be interested in that. I definitely want a DIY hunt without guide. Thanks for any help you could offer, I appreciate it.
Don't know much about that unit but you will have a blast. We hunted unit 21 last year. It's more south west of where you will be hunting. We didn't even have to worry about getting access. We hunted straight public (BLM) land and there were tons of antelope running around. I'm not sure about that unit, but we hunted 21 without top maps, GPS, etc... There are ridges and valleys, but everything was so wide open (no trees) that you could see a long way and see where you needed to go. Unless you're hunting heavy woods or in the mountains I wouldn't think the topo maps and GPS chips are a necessity. (But this is just me; some guys like that stuff). Just get you a good BLM map of all of the trails and public/private land boundaries and you should be just fine.

Take you some good optics if you plan on scoping you out a trophy. We hunted a decent sized valley and I just glassed for a while until I figured out where the antelope were crossing the ridge into the valley. Then I found a little bit of cover and set up right where they were crossing. We killed three lopes in that very spot. Good Luck to yoU!

Dearhunter3450
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Dearhunter3450 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:13 am

Thank you for the info. Makes me feel better about the public access. I should be recieving maps shortly and will be studying for next eight months! I also found a ranch that will allow me to hunt antelope for $500 and mule deer for $700. Its 1200 acres and they have a place for me to stay with no extra charge. I dont know if thats a good deal or not but I'm considering it. It would give me a place to hunt and stay. After I'm done with the hunt I can recon the public ground for following season.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 am

Having a place to stay included in the price is a good deal.
I wonder about the 1200 acres, do you have it to yourselves?
When You get your BLM maps check the area around the ranch, is it public?
1200 acres to me seems very small for an antelope hunt or deer hunt for that matter?

Dearhunter3450
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Dearhunter3450 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 pm

When I talked to the woman she said her neighbors do allow hunting but not a lot of hunters. Sounded to me like the property I'm hunting is surrounded by private property but will check the maps. Not sure if it's better to have public or private next to my ground. I guess both have pros and cons. I will have property to myself for the week. I think having a place to stay definitely sold me on the place. I'm just hoping there is game lol!

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:48 pm

It depends so much on hunting pressure and habitat your area and surrounding.
You maybe hit a jackpot, best of luck.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:31 am

Dearhunter3450 wrote:When I talked to the woman she said her neighbors do allow hunting but not a lot of hunters. Sounded to me like the property I'm hunting is surrounded by private property but will check the maps. Not sure if it's better to have public or private next to my ground. I guess both have pros and cons. I will have property to myself for the week. I think having a place to stay definitely sold me on the place. I'm just hoping there is game lol!
Well, If there is a lot of hunting pressure on public land in that unit, private land may hold some nice ones. On the other hand, being surrounded by private land could be a bad thing if there's not a lot of hunting pressure around it. That being said, though, if you're striking out on private land, you'll have a BLM map to tell you where the public land is. Just pull up, glass for a while, walk on in and shoot you an antelope on public land. I will say this though. There was TONS of public land where we were. When we drove up to Kaycee, WY there were antelope standing and feeding within feet of people's front and back porches; some good bucks even. We were chasing and stalking them for miles on foot and then see them farting around in people's yards. Gives you a whole new perspective on hunting...lol

On a separate note, as far as your maps go, it may not be a bad idea to blow up, print, and laminate a satellite photo of the property and/or areas you'll be hunting. I thought about doing this for my CO hunt this November.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:50 pm

I hunted outside of gillete towards arvada.. There was alot of antelope I tagged out opening morning I will PM you more info...
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com