Colorado Deer Units 18,28,37,371

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TurkeyCreekDad
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado Deer Units 18,28,37,371

Post by TurkeyCreekDad » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi all, I am new to this forum… and for the most part, new to hunting deer in Colorado. However we have hunted Elk in Gunnison and deer throughout Wyoming and Nebraska. This year I drew 2nd season buck-only for these units (18, 28, 37, & 371). I am taking 3 of my favorite guys with me, my brother and my two sons. These 4 units consist of thousands of acres of National Forest access and is almost overwhelming to decide where to even start. I have scouted some land around Grandby, Fraser and Hot Sulphur Springs but so far I haven’t found a good location to base out of. Last year when scouting elk, we saw a lot of deer in unit 28 that is why I entered it in my draw selections initially.

Does anyone on here have some recommendations where to get started? We will be on foot (no horses or ATVs). These young boys have been hunting with me for years so we are not worried about covering some ground. But do you guys recommend basin areas, water areas, highland, dark timber, etc?

We have all the time in the world and but I am just uncertain where to base from and could really use a friendly tip!
And yes I have scoured this forum and absorbed as much as I can from your previous posts. Just looking for some new ideas.

Thanks all

TurkeyCreekDad
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Colorado Deer Units 18,28,37,371

Post by TurkeyCreekDad » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 pm

I am really just looking for a couple tips... Not trying to steal anyone's favorite spot or anything.

Any ideas on some good places to scout out even?

bigmike6970
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigmike6970 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:51 am

Hello,

It has been a while since I have hunted most of units you have listed. couple options would be 181 lower potion of 18 and northern part of 28. During Muzzleloader season I have concentrated on the dark timber. I would imagine that it would be similar for the rifle season. Just be aware if you are walking around and they spot you it is off to the races, they will be gone in no time. I had a Doe almost run into me in the timber and within seconds I could not see her.

What you may want to do if you have not already done so is visit the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website and select big game hunting. From there you want to use the hunting atlas, you can select the species and the unit and it should give you some good information to get you started.

Happy hunting.

Big Mike

TurkeyCreekDad
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TurkeyCreekDad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:13 pm

bigmike,
Thank you very much for your tips. I really appreciate it. Good luck to you as well.

SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Post by SomeGuy01 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:57 pm

I have a 3rd season tag for these units as well! Would love to hear how your hunt went when your done! Good luck and have fun! I'm counting down the days tell we will be there! :thumb