Is this even considered Hunting??

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
waynedevore

Re: Is this even considered Hunting??

Post by waynedevore » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 am

Shooting at that distance would likely not spook the goats. Maybe he scored on his first shot? maybe took 50 shots, maybe the buck laid down because of a earlier gut shot? I have taken many antelope and know it's very risky taking a shot longer then say 200 yards with the winds that often blow in lope country. One thing if there is a steady breeze, doesn't happen often. There is likely several different wind speeds between you and a Antelope that's 1000 yards away. I think that a 1000 yard shot is risky and unethical. Their selling a product that's great, if your a target shooter. My opinion.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:34 am

There are many that say using a rifle to shoot anything is unethical,now you are going to base your ethics on yardage?

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 pm

I think ethics are a bad thing to get involved in because they are usually manmade and subject to change and interpretation. All I can say is that I don't shoot past the yardage that I have proven that I can place all my shots, on demand, in the kill zone. For me that's 40 yards with the bow and 300 yards with the rifle under ideal conditions. I like to get as close as possible anyways. I don't really care how far I shoot at prarie dogs or coyotes (see the ethics of the situation have changed already). For me it's not about ethics anyhow. It's about efficiently bringing home edible meat without wasting it. When I was 12 they turned me loose with a 22 and 3 cartirdges and expected 3 critters. We didn't practice much because money was scarce, so I had to get close. That's how they raised me. I went bad when I bought the first 25-06 Rem. 700 in the area when I got older. Things haven't been the same since.
Mark

REL 1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by REL 1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Hello to All,

Due to the PREPARATION a Long Range Hunter undertakes to Make a Shot like that, it IS Most
Definitely Hunting.

Dictionary term: Hunting,
To chase or search for (game or other wild animals) for the Purpose of catching or killing for food and/or sport. The act or Practice of Hunting Game.

Is it hunting when a guy shoots (maybe) one box of ammo from the bench only, then goes into
the woods and "jump shoots" running game? The potential for wounding game in this scenario
is FAR GREATER than a guy that shoots 50-100 rounds from the bench and Field Positions, who
takes into account and knows his Rifle, the Bullet he's shooting, the Field Conditions at the time
of the shot (Temp, Wind, Elevation, Humidity, etc.)

I would say that the Long Range Hunter ( who Properly Prepares) IS Exercising MORE Responsibility in PREPARATION for his hunt than the average hunter!! Will misses and wounding
occur in long range hunting? YES!! True, they don't show the "train wrecks", BUT Neither Do the
Regular Range Hunters or the "Jump Shooters" on their hunting shows!

Also, we Don't Know that the guy in the video doesn't have the ability to Stalk into Point-Blank
Range ( to Please the Hunters who Only hunt this way). Take a Coues Deer Hunt in Mexico for example, costing Thousands of Dollars. You had Better "BE PREPARED" (Scout Motto) to shoot
effectively 300 to 500+ Yards for those "cross canyon" shots that will More than likely present
itself to the hunter, Or be ready to tell the story of the $4000.00 Sight-seeing trip you enjoyed so much...
PREPARATION for the LongRange Hunter as well as the ShortRange Hunter should be the Deciding Factor if the Shot was Good or Not.
Please excuse the Long Range Post, but that is One of the ways I like to Hunt!!

Russell

Here is a link to learning how to Prepare for shots like these, should you decice the situation
calls for such a shot...

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com
338 EDGE 4 INCH 700 YD GROUP.jpg
338 EDGE 4 INCH 700 YD GROUP.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 6759 times

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:29 am

I have had a lot of proffesional training considering my line of work but I don't stop there. I have read and studied so many books on long range shooting i can't remember all of them. I have also done so much field training I feel much more at home laying in the woods with brush leaves ect. concealing my position so that I can sneak into range for that one shot kill than I do sitting at this computer. I carry all of this over to my hunting. I practice shooting with my hunting rifle like I practice with my sniper rifle. I can honelsty say I am prepared to take very long range shots if the conditions are right. If not I stalk and crawl and walk and hunt hard to get within range where I am comfortable enough with the conditions to take the shot. As far as the video I can't say whether or not it was ethical or not because I don't know all the conditions. I will say it could or could not be.
Anywho just my opinion but I could agree with both sides. It might not be hunting if it is just some idiot who hasn't practiced and got lucky and it could be if he has put in 100's of hours preparing for that shot. Again just my humble opinion.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Wow...I guess the countless hours going into locating the animal and setting up for a shot like that are not considered hunting either????? I have shot deer at less than 10 yards and out to almost 600 yards. I tell my wife I am going hunting each and every time I hunt. Please don't tell her that I am not hunting. I have a good thing going and don't want to ruin it.

So many areas are not set up for shots more than 100 yards. If I am in an area like that, I adapt to the area and hunt at close range. However, I enjoy the long range shots if I can get into an area that offers such a shot. I for one will not steal your animal if I see you stalking it...That WOULD be an ethics issue. If you practice the shots, you can make them. If you don't practice....don't try it.

I have a friend that likes hog liver..I don't like hog liver. Is he actually eating the liver? I guess he can't be because I don't like it :-k
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:33 pm

i completley agree with nonya!
why isnt it hunting? are you guys jealous you cant make that shot or what? long range shooting takes practice and skill! this is way more hunting than any high fence game raches people go to and its supposedly hunting.

elkaholic2981
Fawn
Fawn

Post by elkaholic2981 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Nice shot yes but hunting I dont think so. Where is the hunting part of it? wheres the stalking the challenge ya its a hard shot but ....... I just don't think it is hunting.
Was that a bugle or a sick duck??? try again.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:06 am

they are antelope! they dont take much to hunt with a rifle! the only other thing harder than that shot on an antelope would be hunting lope with a bow!

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 am

I actually agree with NONYA and Ox on this subject. =D>
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.